Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Eastern Cape Whale Coast

Gretta's Beach??  Nope Gordon's Bay! But I love the idea...

For the first real weekend in South Africa, I have decided to experience the Whale Coast between Cape Town and Hermanus.  First stop Gordon's Bay, a beautiful bay tucked into the mountains.

The Beach in Gordon's Bay

From Gordon's Bay, I continued along the rocky coast.  The Atlantic to your right and the mountains directly to the left.  An amazing view the entire ride, especially with the wildflowers in bloom!


The winding road less traveled

Next stop was Betty's Baai and the penguin colony at Stony Point.  While I have seen the penguins at Bolder's Beach, the scenery at Stony Point is much more dramatic. 




Waves Breaking at Stony Point
Stony Point Jackass Penguin

Driving on toward Hermanus there were signs for whale watching in Kleinmound, so I stopped.  And saw my first Southern Right Whale. 


My first whale sighting


I finally arrived in Hermanus.  Home of the whale crier, who signals whale sightings with a kelp horn. 





Two more Southern Right Whales


Kids playing in the fountain at Hermanus

On the way home the sunset was so spectacular, I just had to stop at Gordon's Bay again. 




The whale coast was well worth the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment